Frequently Asked Questions

You can find the frequently asked questions according to the following categories.


1. What are the selection criteria?

Academic qualifications, work experience, special projects undertaken, employer's financial and moral support, performance during interview are counted.  Chance of admission also depends on the competitiveness among applicants.

2. Is the Admission Committee in favour of applicants with certain undergraduate majors and particular types of work experience?

Generally, applicants with a few years of working experience in business and technology and with appropriate academic qualifications stand a better chance of being admitted.

3. Will I be granted an interview?

We will interview most of the candidates with high potential for being admitted.  However, straight-in without an interview is also possible.

4. What supporting documents are required?

Along with the application the following documents are required to be submitted:
a. Graduate transcript with grading system (or interim transcript if graduate transcript is not available yet)
b. Officially certified degree certificate*, if available
c. English Language proficiency test score report, such as TOEFL or IELTS (only for applicants with qualifications from institutions outside HK where the language of instruction and examination is not English)
d. Proof of Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) / average grade / average mark (If the transcript does not show the cumulative GPA / average grade / average mark, or no school proof is available, please complete the online form in the TPg system).
e. Official proof of class ranking, if available
f. A curriculum vitae (C.V.)
g. Identity documents; Visa / Entry Permit (if applicable)

Applicants are NOT required to submit original documents during the application stage.  Should an applicant be given an admission offer by the Programme, he/she will receive notification of the need to submit original/certified true copy of the documents.

* An official copy can be an original copy or a certified true copy.  For Students from Mainland China, an official copy of Bachelor degree certificate is also required.  The University will only ACCEPT originals or copies of the documents that have been duly declared as true copies before a notary public (e.g. a Commissioner for Oaths at a City District Office in Hong Kong).  Copies of documents may be certified by the appropriate officials of your home institution if you are an overseas applicant.  No photocopies will be accepted.

Please note that documents once submitted will not be returned, and will be destroyed if the application is unsuccessful.

5. Do I need to submit reference letters?

You do not need to submit reference letters or ask your referees to complete a form at the time of application.  The Programme Office will contact you or the referees directly afterwards if reference letters are required.

6. The application instructions strongly recommend submitting applications early. What is the benefit to me for submitting early?

We strongly recommend submitting early to allow for technical difficulties or severe traffic that may occur on deadline days.  To avoid this, please consider submitting your application a day or two before the deadline.

7. If my application is missing just a few materials, will it still be assessed?

Other than under very rare and exceptional circumstances, we cannot review files unless they are fully completed.  That means we must receive:

  • the completed application form;
  • the application fee of HK$300;
  • copies of the transcripts of all tertiary educational institutions attended; and
  • the copy of the official score report on English Language Proficiency Test (if English was not used as the medium of instruction in your undergraduate or postgraduate studies).

8. Will applications submitted after deadline for application be considered?


9. Do I need to attach my undergraduate results with the application form if I am a graduate of The University of Hong Kong?

Yes.  We recommend you to upload a copy of the transcript as supporting document to the online application system.  

10. What are the admission requirements for non-local applicants?

No additional admission requirement applies to non-local applicants.  For any short-listed non-local applicants, interviews will be conducted via telephone.

11. Is GMAT required for admission?


12. Do I need to submit a TOEFL/IELTS score for the application?

A TOEFL/IELTS score is not required if your first language is English or English was used as the medium of instruction in your undergraduate studies.

13. Is a minimum TOEFL/IELTS score required for admission?

For TOEFL, the minimum score for Paper-based test (PBT) is 550 and Internet-based test (iBT) is 80.  For IELTS, the minimum overall score is 6.0 and all sub-scores must be 5.5 or above.  The scores for TOEFL/IELTS are valid for two years from the test date.

14. What is the HKU code number for the TOEFL?

The HKU code number for the TOEFL is 9671.

15. Are photocopies of the TOEFL or IELTS reports accepted?

Only original test reports are accepted.  You could ask the test center to send the official reports directly to HKU.

16. Is there any specified GPA requirement?

There is no specified GPA requirement for our admissions requirement but we will consider your all-round qualifications and credentials.

17. Can I apply for more than one postgraduate programme?

Yes.  Applicants may submit more than one application.  However, we see the advantage of staying focused and getting prepared accordingly.

You need to submit an application, pay the application fee and upload supporting documents for each programme you apply.


1. How many intakes do you have each year?

We have one intake every year.  Candidates should start their applications around late September every year for the next year's intake.

2. When does an academic year start?

Our programme is run on semester system, commencing in September.

For the academic year 2023/2024, the duration of each semester is as below:

Semester 1: September 2023 - December 2023
Semester 2: January 2024 - late April 2024
Semester 3: May 2024 - August 2024

3. What are the class schedules?

Classes are held on campus and are normally held on weekdays evenings from 7:00pm-10:00pm, with a short break for tea at around 8:15pm.  For courses which are taught by overseas visiting lecturers, classes are held most in evenings within or just over a fortnight and often on Saturdays and Sundays as well.

4. What type of time commitment is involved? What is the workload?

Each 6-credit course includes a total of 30 in-class hours.  Workloads vary from course to course, and from student to student, depending on your own learning style and familiarity with the material.  A general rule of thumb is that for every 3-hour lecture, approximately three-five hours of additional work are needed for class preparation and projects.  Work in between classes includes group projects and assignments.

5. Can I apply for exemption and/or advanced standing?

Course exemption may be granted if candidates can produce evidence, such as transcript and course syllabus, that a course is equivalent in content to another course elsewhere for which a satisfactory grade has been obtained.  No credits will be given for the exempted course and candidates may be required to take additional and/or alternative courses in lieu of the exempted courses, e.g. A student who has granted exemption of a core course may take an additional elective course instead.

Advanced standing may be granted to candidates in recognition of studies completed successfully before admission to the curriculum in accordance with TPG3 of the Regulations for Taught Postgraduate Curricula.  Candidates who are awarded Advanced Standing will not be granted any further credit transfer for those studies for which Advanced Standing has been granted.  The amount of credits to be granted for Advanced Standing shall be determined by the Board of the Faculty, in accordance with the following principles:

(a) a candidate may be granted a total of not more than 20% of the totals credits normally required under a curriculum for Advanced Standing unless otherwise approved by the Senate; and
(b) credits granted for advanced standing shall not be included in the calculation of the GPA but will be recorded on the transcript of the candidate.

6. Does concurrent registration allow in HKU?

Students registered to read for a postgraduate curriculum at this University MUST NOT be registered simultaneously to read for another qualification in this University or at another institution, except with the approval of the Board of Faculty of Engineering given in advance.  A breach of this Regulation in Hong Kong or elsewhere may result in the student concerned being required to discontinue studies at this University.

7. Is there any financial assistance to local students?

Since we are a self-funded programme, we are unable to offer financial assistance to local students.  Additional support is provided in the form of Government Schemes (Extended Non-means Tested Loan Scheme, Continuing Education Fund).

Please refer to the Financial Assistance section for more information.


1. I have a valid work visa. Do I need to apply for a student visa when studying part-time?

If you have a valid work visa that covers the programme period, you will not need another visa to study in the part-time MSc Programme.

2. I have a valid tourist visa. Do I need a student visa for studying in Hong Kong?

Yes, students who do not have the right to abode in Hong Kong are required to apply for a student visa for entering into Hong Kong and studying on a full-time master degree programme.

3. How to apply for the student visa?

Non-local students, including those from the Mainland China, must obtain a visa in order to study in Hong Kong. Without a valid visa, they cannot register for their study in the University. The student visa will also enable students to enter Hong Kong as students.

Admissions and Academic Liaison Section (AAL) of the Registry can assist students in obtaining visas.  Details can be found at: https://www.studentvisa.hku.hk/.

4. Can I work in Hong Kong if I am holding a student visa?

In principle, Faculty of Engineering of the University of Hong Kong does not support any work outside HKU undertaken by non-local TPG students entering Hong Kong with student visa.

Yet, the visa/entry permit should normally have the indication by the Director of Immigration on no objection for taking up study/curriculum related internship endorsed by the University for up to one-third of the duration of the programme as long as the person remains studying in the University and the limit of stay in Hong Kong remains unexpired.

Non-local full-time students may take up part-time on-campus employment for not more than 20 hours per week throughout the year and summer jobs during the summer months (i.e. 1 June to 31 August) without any limit in relation to working hours and location.

Please refer to the detailed information under "Employment during the Study Programme" of the webpage of HKSAR Immigration Department at: http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/faq/imm-policy-study.html


1. Can I have an accommodation in the campus?

Full-time postgraduate students are eligible to apply for accommodation at a monthly rental charge for a single room in Graduate House at HK$4,520^ and in Ching Lin Terrace Residencel at HK$7,230^.

In addition, students may also apply for accommodation in one of the University's halls of residence, but it must be emphasized that the majority of places are allocated to undergraduates.

For details and updates of student residence, please refer to the website of the Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) at https://www.cedars.hku.hk/index.php?route=accommodation/accommodation/

^ The rental charge may be subject to change.  Please refer to the corresponding web site for up-to-date information.

2. What is the estimated budget for non-local student admitted in full-time programme in 2023?

Tuition fee:

HK$281,000 (US$36,025)
On-campus room: HK$41,960 (US$5,380) to HK$74,652 (US$9,590)
Food, local transportation and personal expenses: HK$117,000 (US$15,000)
Total: HK$439,960 (US$56,405) to HK$472,652 (US$60,615)

Note: The estimated figures are for reference only.  The actual expenses vary from person to person.