Notes to non-local applicants on obtaining a visa
Applicants from outside Hong Kong, including those from Mainland China, must
obtain a visa in order to study in Hong Kong. Without a valid visa, they
cannot register for their study in the University. The student visa will
also enable students to enter Hong Kong as students.
It is the responsibility of individual student to make appropriate visa
arrangement before they come to Hong Kong.
The Hong Kong Immigration Department normally only issues student visas to
applicants enrolling in a FULL-TIME course in the University.
All non-local students who intend to stay for more than 6 months should
obtain a Hong Kong Identity Card after their arrival.
- The application procedures for a student visa to Hong Kong are available
on the HKU China Affairs' Office website at
- All applicants for a student visa are required to have a local sponsor.
Students coming to HKU should request the China Affairs Office to be their
visa sponsor. They should complete the
sponsorship form. Please note that the form is for visa
sponsorship only and is not the visa application form.
- The completed sponsorship application form, together with the relevant documents and payment should be sent to the China Affairs Office, 9/F, Knowles Building, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong as soon as the student is offered an admission to the University.
- China Affairs Office is not responsible for any delay/ cancellation/ failure in the student's application for a visa. The cost recovery charges for visa sponsorship are non-refundable even if the visa application fails.
- It is the responsibility of individual student to make appropriate visa arrangement before they come to Hong Kong.
- Processing time: 4-6 weeks for the Hong Kong Immigration Department.
For enquiries, please contact Agnes Yeung in China Affairs Office, HKU at
- Complete an official student visa application form ID 995A. You can obtain this form from your local Chinese Consulate in your country of residence or you can download the official visa application form ID 995A from <http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/fstudy.htm>.
- Submit your visa application and the required supporting documents to your local Chinese Consulate in your country of residence. (Student Centre may help you lodge the official visa application directly to the HK Immigration Department at an extra charge should you have difficulties in submitting your application to your local Chinese Consulate)
- Upon receipt of your visa application from your local Chinese Consulate, the Hong Kong Immigration Department will seek references from your visa sponsor.
- Apply to the Student Centre for visa sponsorship. Your application will be acknowledged and we will issue you a supporting letter (in Chinese) to take to your local Chinese Consulate to facilitate your student visa application.
- Once the HK Immigration Department has processed your visa application, they will notify your local Chinese Consulate of your visa application result.